NATO summit held in Chicago with all its splendor but at the same time; there were huge protests by native Americans against NATO and its continued barbarianism in different parts of world i.e. Iraq, Libya, Afghanistan and Pakistan. The people demonstrating against them were not ‘Mullahs’ neither they were ‘Talibans’ nor they belonged to ‘Pakistan extremist groups’ they were born and bred Americans who have now realised that ‘war on terror’ is actually ‘war of lies’.
American media tried their level best to change the public opinion with all their resources and their 24/7 news channels even paid journalists failed to cover-up the deceptions of Obama administration and Pentagon. A similar attempt is going on in Pakistan by engaging Najam Sethi and Jugno Mohsin who have also been appointed senior fellow in an American think tank.
If you are under any impression that Pakistan has stopped NATO supplies for the last six months, then you need to see the map below. In the past, two-third (66%) of supply of NATO forces have been through land and “air” routes of Pakistan. Pakistan has only withdrawn “land” supply routes, but the “air” supply routes flying over “Balochistan Province” have not been withdrawn and they continue as usual as you read this article today.
NATO has developed supply routes from other countries to lower its dependence on Pakistan, which they call NDN (Northern Distribution Network), but they are long routes, go across many countries and take long time as compare to the ones from Pakistan, hence the routes via Pakistan (both land and air) become important for NATO forces.
Now coming to the topic, why I am against re-opening of NATO supply routes?
The decision to allow NATO routes was undertaken during Musharaf era and the policy continued under the NRO elected government. By allowing NATO supplies to go through Pakistan, we become part and parcel of ‘War on Terror’ which fuels local terrorism and gives rational reasons to Jihad organisations to pollute young minds for ‘suicide attacks’ inside Pakistan. We have already suffered a loss of over 40,000 lives and spent over $70 billion, when none of the 9/11 hijacker was from Pakistan, nor they took any training in Pakistan.
NATO who has yet to apologize over Salala incident where NATO bombed a Pakistani military post inside Pakistan borders for over 2 hours killing 26 Pakistan Army soldiers. Besides that they never stopped drone attacks. Just after the NATO summit in Chicago, there have been 4 drone strikes in 6 days killing ‘suspect’ militants and civilians. A drone attack is complete violation of international humanitarian law as it does not differentiate between young and old, kids or adults. These drones need to be STOPPED RIGHT NOW as they are killing innocent kids and women and who knows if the ‘suspect’ was a militant or not? Just have a look at some of the horrific pictures below
and this one
It’s a shame that our mainstream electronic media never reports such things and doesn’t create awareness about it. Internet is full of these kinds of pictures, just Google ‘drone attack victims’ and you will find plenty more.
However, it seems like the deal to open NATO supply routes has already been done under the table and it has only to be made public. Mr. Zardari and Mr. Gillani are demanding $365 million per year (RS 32 billion) for land routes to be re-opened where they themselves are involved in over $22 billion (RS 2000 billion) corruption per year as per Transparency International report.
Now the arguments given for re-opening of NATO supply routes in daily talk shows are vaguely along following lines:
- Our economic situation is so weak, we need foreign aid to sustain our economy
- NATO compromise of 42 countries, we cannot fight all these countries alone
- NATO will put sanctions on us and we will be in isolation.
All these arguments are so appalling that I feel embarrassed answering them, but anyways
- We are very rich country in terms of natural resources and human resources. If we just stop looting $22 billion dollars every year and spend them on health, education and developing our Pakistan, we would be at par with other progressing and developed countries. Furthermore, just by improving law and order situation and controlling corruption Pakistan can attract investment from China, which is ready to invest but is afraid of the situation in Pakistan. In a recent survey, Pakistan was ranked 4th most intelligent nation in the world, although we spent 1.8% of the GDP on the education, which is very low as compare to the world average of 4.9% of GDP . So this argument that we are economically weak and we desperately need US AID to rescue from this mess is completely false and fabrication of corrupt politicians. Pakistan can stand on its own feet IF we stop looting our very own country and start education our people, improve law and order situation and attract foreign investment. Pakistan should focus on “trade” not “aid”.
- NATO will NOT and CANNOT attack Pakistan as they all are too deeply involved with Afghanistan and the fear of nuclear weapons is always in their sub-consciousness. At the moment NATO need our land routes for quick and cheap supplies to their forces, they are already using “air” routes 35,000 feet above Balochistan.
- Sanctions have been imposed on Pakistan before and people of Pakistan can face them again if it is for not opening NATO supply routes. Just look at your neighbor Iran who decided not to help NATO in any shape or form and they have survived and were even progressing during global recession. And the other example is that of Cuba, which is on America’s door step, yet free from any American influence and progressing at a rapid speed. If these countries can survive America and their sanctions, why can’t Pakistan? People of Pakistan have faced more tough times in form earthquakes and floods and have shone through them, and if NATO wants to impose sanctions, I have full belief in Allah and people of Pakistan that we will shone through that as well.
The demand of Pakistan for higher fee for NATO trucks has been termed as ‘extortion money’ by US senators as they know how corrupt our leaders and all the ‘extortion money’ will go to their accounts. Do you still think that America trust Pakistan and is working for Pakistan?
Since the NATO supply routes have been blocked, there has been decrease in number of suicide attacks in Pakistan, opening them will only benefit few contractors, transporters and politicians (may be some journalists and TV anchors) but it will worry thousands of mothers who will fear safe return of their sons and daughters at the end of each day.